Injured In A Car Accident? Here’s What To Do And Not Do
The moments after an accident can be confusing and scary. Knowing what to do next can be challenging. Below are some tips to help you protect your rights after a car, truck or other motor vehicle accident.
What To Do After a Car Accident
Car Accident ‘Do’s’:
- Document the accident — Take photos of the vehicles involved, skid marks, road conditions and any visible physical injuries. Write down the license plates of all involved vehicles, and get contact and insurance information from each driver.
- Talk to witnesses — If other people were present when the accident happened, get their names and their contact information. Hearing their account of the accident later may help your case.
- Seek medical attention no matter what — Do not assume you are fine. Waiting to get medical treatment can put your health and your ability to obtain compensation in jeopardy.
- Contact a lawyer — Insurance adjusters will not waste any time. They will be contacting you for a statement immediately. Saying the wrong thing, or agreeing to a bad settlement offer will impact your ability to collect compensation. Make sure you speak with an experienced attorney who can advise you of your rights.
Car Accident ‘Don’ts’:
- Don’t talk to insurance adjusters before knowing your rights — Even giving a simple statement to your or the other driver’s insurance company can impact your ability to recover compensation. Don’t say anything until you’ve spoken with a personal injury lawyer who can explain your rights to you and advise you on the best way to proceed.
- Don’t waste your chance to get compensation — If you don’t know your rights and don’t understand the impact your injuries will have on your life, you may end up accepting a settlement offer that doesn’t even begin to compensate you for your lost wages, reduced earning capacity and future medical bills.
- Don’t ignore even minor pain — Injuries have a way of evolving over time. What may seem like minor neck pain today could be the symptom of a much more serious neck or spinal cord injury. Go to a doctor immediately to find out if you were injured and the extent of those injuries.
Dedicated Legal Representation You Can Trust
Townsend Law Firm, in Orange, Texas, is committed to helping accident victims. For more than 22 years, attorney Townsend Law Firm has helped clients in Beaumont, Orange County and throughout Texas protect their rights and get the compensation they need to heal so they can move forward with their lives. Townsend Law Firm is dedicated to you, your case and your future. The firm offers free, no-obligation consultations to most clients, call 409-233-0773 or contact Townsend Law Firm online.