I bicycle accident can be overwhelming and can result in serious injuries and damages for the victim. For that reason, bicycle accident victims should be familiar with the important steps to take following a bike accident.
Important steps to take following a bike accident
There are several important steps to take following a bike accident after the bicyclist moves safely off the road including:
- Take down contact information – it is important for the bike accident victim, as much as they are able, to obtain contact information for the driver responsible for the accident and the contact information for any witnesses to the accident.
- Call the police – the police should be contacted and the victim should wait, when possible, to talk to the police. The police will create a police report and may ticket the driver.
- Take photos – the victim should take photos of the license plate for the vehicle that caused the accident, the damages done to their bike and their injuries. They should photograph the accident as much as possible.
- Take notes of the accident – as soon as the victim is able following the accident, it is helpful for them to record notes of what happened. Notes should include what happened, when it happened and why.
- Record injuries – victims of bicycle accidents should always seek the medical care and treatment they need. Bicycle accident victims may not always realize the full extent of their injuries right after the accident and those injuries can worsen over time. Victims should keep careful records of the medical treatment and care they receive.
Victims of bike accidents can suffer debilitating injuries that can last a lifetime. A personal injury claim for damages may be able to help them with the physical, financial and emotional damages associated with the injuries and harm they have suffered. It is an important legal resource for them to be familiar with and consider to aid with their damages suffered in a bicycle accident.